nearlydaybyday

Monday, August 23, 2004

Unknowingly on holy ground

Amaziah, one of the kings of Judah, "did what was right in the eyes of the LORD , but not wholeheartedly" (2 Chronicles 25:2).

How much like Amaziah am I? I do right, but only partly. I commit myself to Christ, but not wholeheartedly. I hang tenaciously to my will, my plans . . . even my favorite sins. How well I understand Paul's lament: "Wretched man that I am. Who will deliver me from the body of this death?" (Romans 7).

One of the prayers I often offer to God was first offered by St. Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556):

"Lord Jesus Christ, take all my freedom, my memory, my understanding, and my will. All that I have and cherish you have given me. I surrentder it all to be guided by your will. Your love and your grace are wealth enough for me. Give me these, Lord Jesus, and I ask for nothing more. Amen."

I pray this for at least three reasons. First, I'm VERY forgetful. I often don't remember from one day to the next the promises I make to God. Second, I remind myself that nothing I have originated with me. Wealth, health, talent, reputation -- everything was given me by and through His grace. And third, as much as I can mean it in my human frailty, I want Him to use whatever I have for His will and purpose.

It's easy to serve God only half-heartedly. I want to do better than that.

Rich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home