nearlydaybyday

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Don't Be Afraid

"Do not be afraid," Samuel replied. "You have done all this evil; yet do not turn away from the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart” (1 Samuel 12:20).

The Israelites blew it (again). They wanted to be like the nations around them, so they harangued the priest/prophet Samuel to give them a king. Read what they said in 1 Samuel chapter 8, then skip to chapter 12 (of course, the intervening chapters are important, too).

It would be an understatement to say God wasn’t happy about their decision. You can almost hear His voice choke with emotion in chapter eight, verse seven, when He says, “They have not rejected you (Samuel), but they have rejected Me from being king over them.”

So, Saul becomes Israel's first king. But Samuel makes sure Israel understands they’ve stepped into dangerous territory. That’s when he tells them, “You’ve done all this evil.”

Then he says something you and I dare not miss. The prophet comforts and exhorts them, “Yet, do not turn away from the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart.”

In other words, “OK, guys. You really, really blew it. Yes, God is angry. But He is a loving and merciful Father. Don’t be afraid. His mercy is greater than His anger, His compassion deeper than His displeasure.”

“Don’t allow your guilt or remorse to keep you from turning back to Him. Repent. apologize for your sin and press on toward the high call of God.”

What the prophet said to Israel, the Holy Spirit says to you and me. Sure, we've blown it (again). But God is still a loving and merciful Father. His mercy remains greater than His anger, His compassion deeper than His displeasure. So, let's return to the Lord, for He will abundantly pardon the repentant one.

Father, be merciful to me, a sinner. According to the greatness of your compassion, blot out my transgressions. Against You only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight. I repent. I apologize. I admit I am wrong. Father, hold me close to yourself and, for the sake of Your Son, Jesus, forgive me. Amen

Rich
RNmaffeo@aol.com

1 Comments:

  • I looked at your blog. I have never seen one before.
    I really don't understand what a blog is exactly,
    Just me Roger

    Keep up the good work for Jesus

    Roger

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home