nearlydaybyday

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

From Heaven, or Men?

“Jesus entered the temple courts, and, while he was teaching, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him. ‘By what authority are you doing these things?" they asked. "And who gave you this authority?. . . “Jesus replied, ‘I will also ask you one question. If you answer me, I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. John's baptism--where did it come from? Was it from heaven, or from men?’ " Matthew 21:23-24

From heaven, or men? Every now and again the same question filters into my mind, and it is disquieting. I bristle against the tension that pulls me away from what I want to do, when I know it’s not what He wants me to do.

You’ll never hear me say the scriptures are simply moral teachings and philosophies of men. No, for I am more than convinced it is the very word of God written on parchment by men who were moved by the Holy Spirit. Every word.

So why do I sometimes live as if those words are His suggestions, and not His commandments? Why, when it suits me, do I call my dark, light, and rationalize my bad with a wave of the hand and a "I'm only human" flippancy? Why do I excuse my rebellion against the clear instructions of Scripture?

Probably for the same reason the religious leaders in this text struggled with their response to Jesus – they wanted their kingdom, not God’s. Their will, not God’s. Their plans, desires and opinions. Not God’s.

Lord, help me – help us – to mean it when we pray – and to pray it often: “Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done.” Amen.

Rich
RNmaffeo@aol.com