nearlydaybyday

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Eyes to See

I think it was Yogi Berra, former Yankee catcher and Mets manager, who said, “You can see a lot just by looking.”

The converse is also true. We miss a lot by not looking – especially of things that really matter. For example, the Lord Jesus chided His first century listeners, “Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but cannot discern the signs of the times?”(Matthew 16). In another passage He warned, “If your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!” (Matthew 6:23).

The Lord asked the Hebrew prophet Zechariah, “What do you see?” (Zechariah 5:2). I'm sure he would ask me the same question, if only I’d stand still long enough for Him to get my attention. But perhaps more honestly and to the point, how much can I expect to see with eyes dull from looking at things I shouldn't be looking at?

“The heavens declare God’s glory,” the Psalmist tells us. But all I usually see through dull eyes are clouds and pollution. The prophet Elisha saw angels circling to his rescue (2 Kings 6), yet I see only obstacles, enemies and reasons to cower under the covers. The Lord warned those who were righteous in their own sight to buy from Him eye salve, lest they not see they were naked, poor, miserable and blind” (Revelation 3:14-18). However, I don’t see much of a reason to spend the money or take the time to go shopping.

It's true, we can see a lot by just looking. That's why I pray, "Lord, give me sharpened spiritual sight. Each day, turn my eyes away from things that displease you, and toward the aura of your glory as it fills the horizon." Amen.

Rich
rmaffeo@comcast.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home