nearlydaybyday

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Holy Intimacy

O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD. (Psalm 139:1-4)

Psalm 139 is perhaps among the clearest descriptions of how intimately God knows us, and perhaps more important, how much He loves us. You might want to take some time to read the entire Psalm and be reminded, while you read, God knows our thoughts – every one of them. He sees everything we do. Even in secret. He hears all of our words and all of our whispers.

Nothing is hidden from Him. Nothing.

And yet, despite His full knowledge of who we are and what we do, He offers us again, and again – and yet again – an intimate relationship with Him. This is not a Hollywood intimacy, a cheap and tawdry shadow of His holy desire. This is a warmth, a closeness, an excitement possible only when offered by the Creator of intimacy -- and made possible only through the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus.

Think of it! The sinless Creator became a child, who grew to be a man, who then paid the death penalty OUR sins deserved. And with His payment, everyone who offers his or her life to Jesus can know that holy intimacy.

I can’t think of a better gift to receive this Christmas.

Rich

rmaffeo@comcast.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home