nearlydaybyday

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Darkness Shall Flee

I'm wondering if anyone out there is reading these posts?
Please let me know . . . rmaffeo@comcast.net
---------------

They always came out at night. While I shivered under the covers, they creaked from the corners of my room and rustled past my bed. The night-light only made things worse as its soft glow gave ghostly shape and substance to my imagination.

But as I grew older, my fears slipped unnoticed into the distant memories of childhood. Shadows in the dark and creaks in corners no longer troubled me. I simply ignored them.

I can not pinpoint the time when I no longer feared the dark. As I matured in my understanding of the world around me, I slowly realized there weren't any monsters lurking in the corners of my bedroom. Those images were simply pranks of an over-active imagination. And besides, my parents were in the other room. What did I need to fear?

As a young Christian, I also feared shadows -- spiritual hues of gray and black : Does God really love me enough to forgive me for all the horrible things I had done? Does He really know who I am and how I hurt?

However, as I grew older in my relationship with Christ, the lurking shadows of fear slipped unnoticed into the distant memories of my spiritual childhood. They no longer trouble me because I examine each one them against the light of God's word.

I can not pinpoint the time when the fears of my early Christian walk faded. But as I matured in my faith, I understood that God can be trusted to keep His promises. A well-grounded faith extinguishes all the fiery arrows of fear and doubt. Besides, the heavenly Father is always with me. What do I need to fear?

I don't fully understand how a child matures into an adult. Surely, it is not just a matter of physical aging. But Scripture is clear how a believer matures in Christ. The apostle Paul wrote, "...faith comes from hearing, and hearing from the word of God" (Romans 10:17). The writer to the Hebrews added, "we must consider how to rouse one another to love and good works. We should not stay away from our assembly . . . but encourage one another . . ." (vv. 10:24-25). And Jude instructed: "But you, beloved, build yourselves up in your most holy faith; pray in the holy Spirit" (Jude 1:20).

Spiritual maturity is not an accident. Nor does it occur automatically with age. It is achieved by design, being the result of diligent study of God's Word, regular fellowship with other believers and passionate prayer.

Darkness can be very frightening, driving us under the covers and longing for daylight. But those with a mature faith in Christ can have a confidence which overcomes any fear -- regardless of how dark it may seem.

rich
rmaffeo@comcast.net

1 Comments:

  • I'm reading your posts brother. Please keep up the good work. What a gift you have.

    By Blogger Michele, at 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home