nearlydaybyday

Monday, October 04, 2004

Mammon or God?

“So If you have law courts dealing with matters of this life, do you appoint them as judges who are of no account in the church?” (1 Corinthians 6:3).

Context is always an important factor in understanding a portion of scripture. I encourage you to read the context of 1 Corinthians 6:3. It goes back to chapter five, verse one. The apostle makes, what is for some in the church, a convincing argument for choosing leaders – judicial and political – who base their decisions and judgments on God’s word.

If God says something is sin, then it is sin, regardless of how I “feel” about the sin, or if the cultural approves and legalizes the sin. Conversely, If He says something is right, then it is right, and it doesn’t matter what I or society believes.

I re-read this Corinthian passage only a few days after I had a discussion with an elderly woman who many years ago committed her life to Jesus Christ. For twenty years she has attended an evangelical church. For twenty years she has faithfully read her Bible.

Yet she plans to vote in the upcoming election for a man who has made no secret of his position on some clearly unbiblical issues facing Americans. One is abortion (he favors it). The other is homosexual marriage (he favors it).

The reason she intends to vote for that candidate is because he has promised her greater economic prosperity. In other words, “put me in office and I will put more money in your pocket – and Biblical morality be tossed out the window.”

Christians should beware. God is not mocked. Whatever we sow, we will reap.

Joshua said it a long time before I even thought to say it. But I will say it anyway – at least in paraphrase: You can vote as the ungodly and anti-Bible crowd may vote, but as for me and my house, we will vote for the man (and woman) who honors the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15)

End

Rich
Rnmaffeo@aol.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home